Monday, June 6, 2011

Sewing in May

I did a lot more sewing than normal in the month of May.  Maybe it was because Brian was gone and I seemed to have a bit more free time.  Here are a few of the projects that I worked on in no particular order.

~ A pair of jammies for me that included a spaghetti strap tank top and mini bloomer shorts.



~ A nightie/sleeper for my niece.  It was made out of an old t-shirt.  The shirt says 90210 on the front and I picked that because my cousin used to watch it all the time growing up.  The funny part is, when I talked to her about it, she said that she had been watching that show on her maternity leave.


~ A Frock by Friday dress from Grosgrain.  I made the Shirtwaist dress.  It was a fairly easy pattern to make.  Funny thing is I started it when I came back to WA last summer and I finished it nearly a year later.  That is quite the lengthy project, don'tcha think?  I had a lady from church help me learn to make button holes that look presentable.  I had tried them before and they were always pretty shoddy looking.  These turned out really nice.  I was one step away from finishing the dress, all I had to do was hem it, when I decided to open up my button holes and put my buttons through.  To my horror I must not have learned how to properly measure the buttons to make the holes large enough.  Not a single one of my six buttons would fit through their holes.  I was about ready to through the entire dress away when the light bulb when off.  I cut my bottom four buttons off and then sewed them on through the button hole.  Now the dress looks like they work, but alas it is our little secret.  I think the next frock by Friday that I will try and do is the Tara dress.  I have this pretty pink fabric all ready to use.  Hopefully I can work on that this month.



~ A sparkly pink skirt to wear when I run races and especially to wear for my triathlon.  It makes me feel good which I rationalize makes me faster.  I usually wear it with a pair of black running shorts under it and either a grey or pink tank top.  I also wear a fun pair of argyle knee high socks.


~ Bookmarks for Angela and Connor's teachers and various members of our family.  I tried to machine embroider initials on each of the bookmarks.  That was something I have never done so I was a little nervous.  It was not as bad as I thought.  I don't think I would do full words or sentences but the initials were just fine. 


~ A draw string bag for my nephew who turned two.  Every little boys should have something to tote around their treasures in.  I forgot to take a picture of this but it was a very fun dinosaur print.

~ A bowl cover for this dish I usually take to potlucks.  It is just a piece of fabric to keep things from spilling out.  Next time I might try to use a piece of PUL fabric which is laminate so that I could use it while storing things in the fridge.  It was just something fun to make and share with the ladies at the potluck. 


There you go, all of my projects for May.  I have a few on my list for June but we'll see where life takes me.

No comments: