Monday, October 11, 2010

Sauerkraut

This past summer when I went back home I got to do something fun and new. I learned how to can sauerkraut. My mother-in-law is a wonderful lady and she is the one who taught me how to make and can the sauerkraut. I am not sure that I like the stuff, but Brian really does so why not learn how - right? It was a lot of fun and it didn't taste too bad, I think it might grow on me.

Since I wanted this skill to stick in my mind, what better way than, to do it myself. This past week Brian and I tried our hand at making it.

I got myself a new toy for making it, a cabbage shredder.


With that and four heads of cabbage, we were ready to go. I decided to do four, because I thought that was what we did this summer and it made quite a bit. Also, because it was not too much and I still do not know how much my crock will hold?


Brian spent his time with the shredder,


while I spend my time mixing the cabbage with the salt. There is not as much salt in sauerkraut as I would have thought there would have been.


I stuffed it deep into the crock and you could hear it popping and sizzling. It was almost like the snap crackle pop of Rice Krispies. It was such a fun sound to hear. It also had nice foamy brine on top. I was so excited to see how it was looking. Even though I am not sure if I really like the taste of it, I did like the look of it.


Lastly we sealed it up with a bag of water and now to wait. I have a month (or so) to wait and then it should be ready to can.

1 comment:

Ruhammie said...

WOAH!! A month?? Did not know that...we did A LOT of grape jam, plum jam, apple butter and salsa...it was a busy week.